Simply the project manager is the person responsible for ensuring that the Project Team completes the project in the other hand he or she is the person who is responsible for the overall success of the project. Project manager sometimes call as Project Coordinator or a Team Leader. However the key aspect is that project manager of the person who is responsible for ensuring the success of the project.
A project manager is a professional in the field of project management. Normally project managers can have the responsibility of the planning, execution, and closing of any project, typically relating to construction industry, architecture, computer networking, and telecommunications or software development. In the other hand a project manager is often a client representative and has to determine and implement the exact needs of the client based on knowledge of the firm they are representing. Depending on the size and complexity of the project, the project manager may take on other responsibilities in addition to managing the work.
If the project is not large enough, the project manager spends the rest of their time in other project roles such as Business Analyst, Designer and Technical Writer. Depending on the size of the projects and the way company is organized, a project manager' time may be allocated one of three ways such as,
- Full time role on a large project.
- May have project management responsibilities for multiple projects, each of which is less than full time, but the combination of which adds up to a full-time role.
- May fill multiple roles, each of which requires a certain level of skill and responsibility. On one project, for instance, project manager may be both a project manager and an analyst.
Good project managers always,
- Natural planners
- Effective fire-fighters
- Good motivators
- Good team builders
- Walk around and ideally sit physically in the middle of the team
- Address conflict
That's why project managers are really important to carry out a successful project.
Skills and Qualities/ Characteristics
A project manager needs to possess a variety of qualities if he or she needs to be a successfully attain in his or her goals and gain respect as a project manager. Few Skills and Qualities/ Characteristics
can be represented as follows,
- Analytical thinking: Ability to understand overall visions, as well as minute details
- Organization: Ability to prioritize work
- Interpersonal skills: how good oral and written communication
- Leadership: Ability to inspire team members to execute the plan and successfully complete the project
- Communication :Ability to communicate clearly, effectively, and regularly
- Team building: Ability to handle the whole team. So people will well work together and feel motivated to work hard for the project
- Maintaining the team spirit, identify and assign responsibilities according to their skills and knowledge: should ensure maintaining the team spirit and uplifting it at critical times, appointing secondary leaders to equally distribute responsibility and to assure timely completion of targets.
- Interpersonal : Ability to develop a relationship with each team member in order to know how they think things are going, what concerns they have, and how they feel about things
- Problem solving: Ability to anticipate problems, recognize them when they arise, and solve them quickly and efficiently and encourage project team to identify problems early and solve them.
- Time Management :Ability to prioritize, delegate, and manage time effectively
- Human resources :Ability to interview and choose team members with the proper skills and knowledge
- Honesty: Project manager needs to have Honesty, integrity or loyalty. Because the actions of the project manager set an example for the rest of the team members
- Passion: Project manager has to be passionate about the project.Then the team members will automatically him or her and respect his decisions.